2018 Fulton County GA Appeal and Tax Bill Update
With the 2018 assessment appeal deadline having expired on July 6, the Fulton County Tax Assessors Office has tallied over 42,000 appeals. Because of the significant number of appeals, the County is required, by state law, to request a collection order from the Fulton County Superior Court and that order is being prepared and will be presented in the next several weeks. Assuming the Court either approves the order as presented or some variation of that order, the 2018 Fulton County tax bills should be sent either at the end of August or the first of September with due dates 30-60 days from the mailing. At this time, we do not know if the Court will mandate that the taxes be collected on the proposed values, some form of the proposed values or the 2017 values. These bills will be noted as temporary and, if the bills are based on the 2017 values, there will be some reconciliation of the final taxes owed sometime in the future.
As far as the appeal process goes, with over 40,000 parcels under appeal, it is possible that this process will continue into 2019 and possibly even into 2020. As developments continue with this process, we will update you accordingly.
The FSSR staff is currently reviewing each property and working up individual property analysis based on the information you have provided to date. As assessments are received you will be notified via electronic correspondence. Please be aware and send us any documentation you receive directly for our review and processing. Taxing jurisdictions will only send a single copy of assessment notices.
Should you receive documents directly from the jurisdiction(s), please send those over to us for our review and if necessary our response.
- 2018 Gwinnett County tax assessment notices were mailed April 6 with the appeal deadline being May 21.
- 2018 Cobb County tax assessment notices were mailed April 20 with the appeal deadline being June 4
- 2018 Fulton County tax assessment notices are scheduled to be mailed May 22 with an approximate July 5 appeal deadline
- 2018 Dekalb County tax assessment notices are scheduled to be mailed June 1 with an approximate July 16 appeal deadline
- The 2018 Georgia legislative session concluded April 6 with no significant legislation regarding commercial property taxes being considered and/or passed
- All GA business personal property returns and exemptions were due to be filed April 1
- Fulton County expects to be completed with all remaining 2017 commercial appeals prior to June 1
- Dekalb County expects to be completed with all remaining 2017 commercial appeals prior to June1
- City of Savannah second installment tax bills will now include a Non-Ad Valorem Fire Fee. Owners should have received this notification recently including instructions on how to calculate the Fire Fee and also deadlines on applying for discounts.
- ASSESSMENT NOTICES for Forsyth County are expected to be mailed May 15 and for Bibb County on May 11.
Texas – New statewide appeal deadline is May 15 beginning in 2018 as per legislation previously passed
General Appeal & Tax Bill Stats by State:
|State||Notices/Values Out||Taxes Out||Taxes Due|
|GA||April-July||Summer||Vary based on County/City|
|FL||August||November||Base by 3/31/19 - Discounted each month 4% by end Nov, 3% end Dec, 2% end Jan & 1% end Feb|
|AL||April-June||Fall||Mostly 12/31/18 - some vary|
|NC||Varies based on Reappraisal schedule and individual jurisdiction: January - March||late Summer and Fall||1/5/2019|
|SC||Varies based on Reappraisal schedule and individual jurisdiction: Year Round||Fall||1/15/2019|
|TN||Varies based on Reappraisal schedule and individual jurisdiction: prior to June||Fall||2/29/19 with exception of a few Cities|